For his nightly "Top 10" list, Letterman enlisted 10 American League All-Stars to help with the "Top 10 facts about the All-Star Game." Justin Verlander kicked things off with No. 10 -- "This year, they've added an extra base" -- before Mauer chimed in with No. 9:
Catcher may be replaced by a designated squatter.
MLive.com transcribed the Top 10, and included video, here.
The rest of the list reads:
8. After the Home Run Derby, there's now a Weak Grounder to Third Derby (Chris Sale)
7. During the 1937 All-Star Game, Dizzy Dean's the first player to to yell "Go sit in the truck!" (Jered Weaver)
6. All-Star etiquette requires players to spit discreetly into a handkerchief (David Price)
5. The game's tomorrow and I still don't know what the All-Star ambassador does (George Brett)
4. Players need notes from two different doctors to get out of doing lame top ten lists (Adam Jones)
3. This year's game is cup-optional (Josh Hamilton)
2. Earlier today, we all bonded at a matinee of "Magic Mike" (C.J. Wilson)
1. Oh crap, the game's tomorrow?! (Derek Jeter)