On Wednesday night, the Minnesota Twins will open a two-game set against their Central Division rivals, the Detroit Tigers. For the first time since April 30, the Twins will have their slugging first baseman Justin Morneau back in the lineup as he makes his return after an injury to his right wrist.
However, the team's most successful hitter against Tigers' starter Rick Porcello will not be playing as Denard Span (8 for-22 against Porcello) was a late scratch due to hamstring tightness in his right leg. It is reported that Span will be available off the bench.
Here are the projected starting lineups for Wednesday:
1. Erik Komatsu, Center Field
2. Brian Dozier, Short Stop
3. Joe Mauer, Designated Hitter
4. Josh Willingham, Left Field
5. Justin Morneau, First Base
6. Ryan Doumit, Catcher
7. Trevor Plouffe, Right Field
8. Alexi Casilla, Right Field
9. Jamey Carroll, Third Base
Starting Pitcher: Nick Blackburn; 1-4, 7.18 ERA
1. Austin Jackson, Center Field
2. Andy Dirks, Left Field
3. Miguel Cabrera, Third Base
4. Prince Fielder, First Base
5. Delmon Young, Designated Hitter
6. Alex Avila, Catcher
7. Ryan Raburn, Second Base
8. Brennan Boesch, Right Field
9. Ramon Santiago, Short Stop
Starting Pitcher: Rick Porcello; 3-3, 5.18 ERA
For more on the Detroit Tigers and the Minnesota Twins, head over to Bless You Boys andTwinkie Town, SB Nation's respective blogs for the teams. More news and analysis on Major League Baseball in general can be found over at Baseball Nation.