Minnesota Twins catcher Joe Mauer, the Twins' lone All-Star Game representative, made a cameo on David Letterman Monday night.
For his nightly "Top 10" list, Letterman enlisted 10 American League All-Stars to help with the "Top 10 facts about the All-Star Game." Justin Verlander kicked things off with No. 10 -- "This year, they've added an extra base" -- before Mauer chimed in with No. 9:
Catcher may be replaced by a designated squatter.
MLive.com transcribed the Top 10, and included video, here.
The rest of the list reads:
8. After the Home Run Derby, there's now a Weak Grounder to Third Derby (Chris Sale)
7. During the 1937 All-Star Game, Dizzy Dean's the first player to to yell "Go sit in the truck!" (Jered Weaver)
6. All-Star etiquette requires players to spit discreetly into a handkerchief (David Price)
5. The game's tomorrow and I still don't know what the All-Star ambassador does (George Brett)
4. Players need notes from two different doctors to get out of doing lame top ten lists (Adam Jones)
3. This year's game is cup-optional (Josh Hamilton)
2. Earlier today, we all bonded at a matinee of "Magic Mike" (C.J. Wilson)
1. Oh crap, the game's tomorrow?! (Derek Jeter)
Mike Napoli of the Texas Rangers will start at catcher instead of Mauer, who is making his fifth All-Star game appearance.